By Jill Fox
Don’t miss the chance to see a popular new film while helping out the Parkland Library at the same time.
Movie night will be held on Wednesday, September 18 at 7 p.m. in Deerfield Beach to see The Goldfinch — a powerful and emotional movie where proceeds benefit the Parkland Friends of the Library.
Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book, a young teen’s mother is killed in a bombing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. The tragedy changes the course of his life, sending him on an odyssey of grief and guilt, reinvention and redemption, and even love. Through it all, he holds on to one tangible piece of hope from that terrible day- a painting of a tiny bird.
Kathy Kestler, president of Friends of the Library said the popular award-winning book was read by many Parkland Library goers, who look forward to seeing the movie together.
The organization, which raises funds through memberships, donations, and book sales to support the valuable programming and services of the library, donates over $12,000 a year from these types of activities.
Kestler said, “We’re all volunteers. We’re doing it to support the community and the library.”
Cost is $20. Members and a guest receive the discounted price of $15 per ticket.
Seats must be reserved by Wednesday, September 11, by emailing Kathy Buchko. Only cash will be accepted at the door. The Goldfinch is rated R for drug use and language. The Deerfield Cinepolis Movie Theater is located at 3984 West Hillsboro Blvd.
To become a Friend of the Library for a $25 donation, visit parklandfriends.org/moviedonation.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2020.09.29Marjory Stoneman Douglas Grad Aims to Educate Voters with Nonpartisan Education Platform
- Schools2020.09.28Gina Rose Montalto Memorial Foundation Awards Total of 3 Scholarships
- News2020.09.27Our Interview with the Four Candidates for City Commission District 1
- News2020.09.253 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Students Create Masks with a Meaning