By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas softball picked up their first win of the season following their 8-1 victory over Cypress Bay High School Wednesday night.
The Eagles got off to a quick start with three runs in the first inning. Freshman Kayleigh Cuccia scored on a past ball and then later doubled home a run in the bottom of the second. MSD got their other two first-inning runs on a steal of home from freshman Isabella Silva and a sacrifice fly from Olivia Alvarez.
Later in the game, Katie Pecaul had an RBI, and then Julia Magee, who earned the win on the mound, plated two with a double to make it 7-1. Julie Van Arsdale then reached on an error scoring Jesse Magee.
Head Coach Brian Staubly was proud of his team as he is starting five freshmen this year.
“We played well after a tough loss to Coral Glades,” said Staubly. “We hit the ball and scored some runs against a well-established program.”
Up next, MSD will have a few days to prepare as they travel to Deerfield Beach High School on Monday, March 1 with first pitch scheduled for 4 p.m.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.05.22CHAMPIONS AGAIN: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins 2nd State Championship in 6 Years
- News2021.05.21BREAKING: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball 1 Win Away From State Championship
- News2021.05.15Ordonez’s Walk-Off Home Run Wins Regionals for Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball
- News2021.05.13Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Storms Back Late to Advance to Regional Final