By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas softball picked up their first win of the season following their 8-1 victory over Cypress Bay High School Wednesday night.
The Eagles got off to a quick start with three runs in the first inning. Freshman Kayleigh Cuccia scored on a past ball and then later doubled home a run in the bottom of the second. MSD got their other two first-inning runs on a steal of home from freshman Isabella Silva and a sacrifice fly from Olivia Alvarez.
Later in the game, Katie Pecaul had an RBI, and then Julia Magee, who earned the win on the mound, plated two with a double to make it 7-1. Julie Van Arsdale then reached on an error scoring Jesse Magee.
Head Coach Brian Staubly was proud of his team as he is starting five freshmen this year.
“We played well after a tough loss to Coral Glades,” said Staubly. “We hit the ball and scored some runs against a well-established program.”
Up next, MSD will have a few days to prepare as they travel to Deerfield Beach High School on Monday, March 1 with first pitch scheduled for 4 p.m.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.04.07Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Track and Field Finish 2nd, Girls 4th at Meet
- News2021.04.07Sullivan Scores Hat Trick in Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Lacrosse Win
- News2021.04.03Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins 17th Game This Season
- News2021.04.012 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Lacrosse Players Score 6 Goals in Win