By Sharon Aron Baron
Last fall, several Broward College’s Reading L.Y.F. Club members came together to write, illustrate, and publish a children’s e-book.
In celebration of National Read Across America Day, Broward College’s Reading Club came together to write, illustrate and publish a children’s e-book. Now the story comes to life through the City of Parkland’s next Story Walk.
“The Unbreakable Bond” is the story of the Rosa Williams family reunion. Although it would normally take place in-person, the family recognizes the importance of social distancing and decides to reunite online. To keep the virtual reunion exciting, the family organizes a talent show to show off the new skills learned at home.
“Reading is an important part of our daily lives, and as a community, we all play a role in helping children foster a love for reading,” said assistant professor and club advisor Eileen Santiago.
The Story Walk takes place Tuesday, March 2, from 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in honor of National Read Across America Day, and each page of the e-book will be printed on a large yard sign.
To read the entire book, children and their families can take a walk around the Parkland Library to see each page. Visit anytime during the time period to participate. Proper physical distancing and face coverings are required. Pre-registration and a Parkland Library card are required. To register here or call 954-757-4207.
The Reading L.Y.F. (Lead Your Future) Club at Broward College’s mission is to promote literacy in the community. This event is one way to bring a story about social distancing in a format that is available for all.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Educator Named Finalist for Career and Technical Education Teacher
- NewsFebruary 20, 2024Lead the Fight at the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life
- NewsFebruary 20, 2024Congregation Kol Tikvah in Parkland Announces a Weekend of Spiritual Upliftment with Danny Maseng
- NewsFebruary 18, 2024Florida Prepaid College Cuts Prices After Low Tuition Increases