By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas boys and girls track and field have been gearing up for Districts all season and did not disappoint.
The Eagles had two players win events as well as send several players to regionals. They also set personal records in five of six of the relay events as both teams came in third place.
Sheldon McCullum earned the victory in the 800 meters. Teammate Bryan Gonzalez finished in fifth.
Jasiah Clapp, Lucas Machado, Gonzalez, and Mccullum won the 4 x 800 relay, while Clapp, Allen Oliver, McCullum, and Isiah Shaw came in second in the 4 x 400.
Shaw also won both the long and triple jump. Ameer Hussain came in second in the high jump to qualify for regionals.
For the girls, Jayah Portis put on a show. She won the triple jump as well as coming in third in the long jump and fifth in the 300 hurdles. She also helped her team contribute to a second-place finish in the 4 x 100 with Selena Bronkhorst, Ananda Grissette, and Gianna Hansen.
Grisette also finished in fifth in the 200 meters and third in the triple jump.
Grace McKenzie quailed for regionals by coming in second place in the 800 meters. Alana Veal came in third in the high jump.
Sabrina Acevedo ran well, coming in fifth in the 100 hurdles, one spot behind Hansen.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 10U Baseball Team Hold Tryouts at Pine Trails Park