By: Sharon Aron Baron
The middle school students at Mary Help of Christians earned first place at the Regional Science Olympiad Competition held at the University of Miami on January 18.
The team is comprised of 16 students from the 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. They competed in 22 different science and engineering-related events and students at the private Parkland school earned first place in fifteen of the events, second in four of the events, and third place in three of the events.
The team finished the day as the overall first-place team.
Reaching State Competition two years in a row is an outstanding accomplishment for our students and their teachers, said Principal Dr. Alexandra Fernandes.
“We are proud of our students’ desire to learn and the dedication of our outstanding teachers. The team moderators, Mrs. Hanrahan and Mrs. Montgomery worked diligently preparing our students for this competition.”
For the second year in a row, this ranking has qualified the MHOC team for the State Competition. This takes place at the University of Florida on March 21, where they will be competing against 42 of the top schools from around the state.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- Crime & Safety2020.09.17Stolen Vehicle and Phone Scam this week in Parkland Crime
- News2020.09.15C.A.R.E. South Florida Holds Kick-Off Event Supporting Small Business
- Crime & Safety2020.09.11Owners of 3 Stolen Vehicles in Parkland Left Key Fobs Inside
- News2020.09.10Coral Springs Police Officers Foundation Announce their 2020 Scholarship Winners