By Sharon Aron Baron
Held on March 24 at the University of Florida campus, the team was among 34 other middle schools in the state that were invited to participate.
Despite the stiff competition from public, private, and charter schools, the Mary Help of Christians’ Science Olympiad Team rose to the challenge and finished ranked as the 15th overall team in the state. The students placed in the top ten in seven out of the 23 different events they competed in during the day.
The team achieved 10th place in the Flight and Road Scholar events, 8th place in the Forestry event, 7th place in the Rollercoaster event, 6th place in the Crime Busters event, 5th place in the Wheeled Vehicle event, and 2nd place in the Write It Do It event.
Eric Palacio, the Principal of Mary Help of Christians, expressed his pride and admiration for the students.
“On behalf of the administration and all of the MHOC community, I want to congratulate our students on the hours of preparation and after-school sacrifices to prepare for this event. Our students are going above and beyond to support their passion for science and foster their innovative approach to new challenges.”
Palacio also acknowledged the invaluable contribution of Donna Hanrahan, the school’s STREAM Coordinator, to the team’s success. “So much of these accomplishments are a validation for all she does for our students each day,” Palacio added.
Mary Help of Christians School is at 6000 N University Dr in Parkland, FL.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Four from Marjory Stoneman Douglas Named 2024 National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Demolition Set for Marjory Stoneman’s Douglas 1200 Building Next Summer
- NewsSeptember 6, 2023Congregation Kol Tikvah Welcomes Members, Loved Ones for the High Holy Days
- NewsAugust 30, 2023Meet Monte and Dexter, Pets in Need of Forever Homes at the Humane Society of Broward County