By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas JV football team kicked off their season with an exciting 40-0 win over J.P. Taravella High School on Wednesday night.
The Eagles had touchdowns from five different players in the blowout win. Head Coach Matthew Wargo was extremely pleased with his team’s performance as they are making every game count with only three regular-season games.
“We were just really happy with the execution of our freshmen having such limited time to work and prepare some of them. They all came out making plays.”
It took the Eagles only two plays as freshmen quarterback Ryan Spallina faked out the entire Trojans’ defense team with a long touchdown run to open up the scoring.
MSD stopped the Trojans on fourth down and once again quickly scored on a long touchdown, this time from freshman running back Joshua Joseph to make it 13-0 early before the end of the first quarter.
In the second quarter, the Eagles defense continued to pitch their shutout as Alex Kooby had a sack and a tackle for a loss before Tucker Jean picked off a pass. The next play, Wargo put Zach Goldberg at quarterback, and he broke free for a touchdown to make it 20-0.
MSD ended the half with another touchdown, this time from Justin Spano. The Eagles then scored two long touchdowns from Hunter Rose to extend the lead to 40.
Up next for MSD, they will travel on the road for a matchup with Everglades High School on Wednesday, November. 11, at 6.30 p.m. before finishing their season at home on November 18 against Deerfield Beach at 5. p.m.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.05.13Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Storms Back Late to Advance to Regional Final
- News2021.05.13Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys and Girls Golf Win Broward County Championship
- News2021.05.09Marjory Stoneman Douglas Track and Field Team Shines at States
- News2021.05.08Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Combines For No-Hitter in Regionals