By Sharon Aron Baron
A trio of Dachshund mixes and a cat await a new beginning after a challenging past.
The Humane Society of Broward County welcomed them and over a dozen other dogs in late June. These canines were part of a larger group, saved from neglect in partnership with another shelter.
The resilient Caramel, a young female, is over a year old. Her fellow survivors, Coco and Meatball, are five. A notable condition they share is a congenital malformation of the eyes, leaving them with minimal or no vision. The shelter believes they would thrive in a household with another gentle canine or, even better; prospective families might contemplate adopting two or all three of them.
Despite their initial hardships, these dogs have shown tremendous progress, thanks to the care from the staff and volunteers at the Humane Society.
In another heartwarming rescue, the society staff encountered a feline duo during an early morning pet transport last week. Around 2:45 a.m., a mysterious meow led them to discover a malnourished cat, Barbie (ID A671592), and her kitten, Skipper, perched on a light post base. Gratefully, hunger eased their rescue as they were coaxed with food and promptly received care inside the shelter. While Skipper is currently in a foster home, the affectionate and petite Barbie, weighing just over six pounds, eagerly awaits her forever home.
For those looking to provide these animals with the love and care they deserve, the first step is to complete a pre-adoption application at www.humanebroward.com.
The Humane Society of Broward County, situated at 2070 Griffin Road, welcomes visitors daily starting at 11 a.m. For any questions, kindly reach out to 954-989-3977 ext. 6.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- NewsOctober 1, 2023State Rep Hunschofsky Discusses Breast Cancer Awareness, Mental Health Support
- NewsSeptember 28, 2023Revamp Your Children’s Fall Wardrobes: Sustainable Fashion Event Offers 90% Off
- NewsSeptember 28, 2023Vandalism Escalates to Dangerous Levels at Parkland Residence
- NewsSeptember 26, 2023Representative Christine Hunschofsky Hosts Town Hall in Parkland