By Jill Fox
Daisy Menendez, assistant principal at Park Trails Elementary School, received a great honor when she was nominated for Assistant Principal of the Year.
The award, given by Broward County Public Schools recognizes outstanding school administrators for their contributions to students, schools, and communities. Nominees are judged on several criteria, including educational history and professional activities, creativity and innovation, leadership, professional recognition, and achievements.
Park Trails Principal Arlene Manville said Menendez’s nomination was well-deserved. She has an unbelievable work ethic and is a team player.
“Ms. Menendez is always willing to do whatever it takes to get things done, but most importantly, she always puts kids first, and that is exactly what we all want in a leader,” said Manville.
Menendez came to Park Trails in 2017 from Pembroke Pines Elementary School, where she was a teacher, curriculum specialist, and then an assistant principal in 2005.
Raised in Miami, Menendez attended Amelia Earhart Elementary School. Later, she graduated from Hialeah High School, Barry University, and attended Nova University for her master’s degree.
For the past 11 years, she has lived in Coral Springs with her husband, Ray, and her children, boy and girl twins, both in third grade at Park Trails Elementary.
When the good news about her accomplishment broke, parents and teachers took to Facebook to praise Menendez.
“No surprise there. She truly puts our kids first,” said Angela Mesa-Taylor.
“We are so lucky to have Mrs. Menendez. She brings so much to our school and our students,” said Meredith Plask.
Park Trails PTA President, Kellie Reda said, “We cannot thank Mrs. Menendez enough for all of her hard work and dedication to our students and our school.”
Menendez said her favorite part of being an educator is the children.
“If everyone viewed the world through their eyes, it would be a better place,” she said.
The 2020 Caliber Awards Ceremony recognizing the district’s outstanding teachers, principals, assistant principals, and school-related employees, will take place on January 16 at the Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2020.09.29Marjory Stoneman Douglas Grad Aims to Educate Voters with Nonpartisan Education Platform
- Schools2020.09.28Gina Rose Montalto Memorial Foundation Awards Total of 3 Scholarships
- News2020.09.27Our Interview with the Four Candidates for City Commission District 1
- News2020.09.253 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Students Create Masks with a Meaning