By Sharon Aron Baron
Parkland Golf & Country Club HOA President David Gott wanted to do something to commemorate the third anniversary of the school shooting and reached out to their communications director Bonnie Hirschel to look into doing something.
She reached out to Melissa Sackman, the Sports Club Committee Chair. Together, they came up with the idea of placing luminary bags at the end of the resident’s driveways on the evening of February 14.
“In addition to this being a Parkland tragedy, it hit our community especially hard because the Hoyer family lives here,” said Hirschel, who added that their goal was to hold an event where they could honor the victims safely without attracting crowds.
Parkland Golf & Country Club reached out to other communities to do the same, and so far, Heron Bay is the only one joining.
Heron Bay residents can register for their free luminaries on the email bulletin sent out to them and pick them up at The Plaza Del Lago between February 10-12 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Participating residents are asked to come outside their homes at 8 p.m. on February 14 and stand in silence for six minutes 20 seconds to remember all 17 victims.
Parkland Golf & Country Club seeks resident volunteers to help assemble, distribute, and light the bags on Sunday, February 14. MSD students living in that community can earn service hours for volunteering. Please send an email here for more details.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.05.12Parkland Parents Weigh in on COVID-19 Vaccinations for Kids
- News2021.05.09Slots Still Open at Relay For Life ‘Swing Fore A Cure’ Golf Tournament on May 22
- News2021.05.07Suspects Burglarize 7 Vehicles in This Week’s Crime Update in Parkland
- News2021.05.05Parkland Vice Mayor Mayersohn Elected to Serve on Florida League of Cities Board of Directors