By: Sharon Aron Baron
The Florida Division of Emergency Management announced that additional supplies and personal protective equipment would be distributed to mitigate and contain the spread of COVID-19 in the state.
After conducting a thorough assessment of needs, FDEM Director Jared Moskowitz of Parkland has requested the following supplies through Direct Federal Assistance:
- Five mobile intensive care units
- 5,000 ventilators
- 5,000 hospital beds
- 50,000 two oz. bottles of hand sanitizer
- 250,000 coveralls
- 500,000 gloves
- 500,000 gowns
- 500,000 collection kits
- 100,000 16 oz. bottles of hand sanitizers
- 150,000 Personal Protective Equipment kits, including coveralls, gowns, and goggles
- 2 million N95 face masks
Supplies are being delivered on a rolling basis, and inventory is being distributed throughout the state 24 hours a day.
Three field hospitals are being deployed including one on its way to Broward County; one field hospital is currently staged in Orlando and can be moved to other areas in the state as needed; another is on its way to Ocala and will be staged there and deployed to other areas as needed.
Governor Ron DeSantis appointed then-State Rep Jared Moskowitz to head up the Florida Division of Emergency Management in 2018. The department maintains statewide communications with county emergency officials ensuring that Florida is prepared to respond to emergencies, recover from them, and mitigate their impacts.
Born in Coral Springs, Moskowitz is a graduate of Marjory Stoneman Douglas and graduated George Washington University with a bachelor’s in political science. He then attended Shepard Broad Law Center at Nova Southeastern University, receiving his Juris Doctor.
Moskowitz is also working with the federal government to determine if there is the capacity to add US Navy Mercy-Class ships at Florida ports.
Mobile COVID-19 testing is also being implemented, and the National Guard is deployed in Broward County and on standby to assist throughout the state as necessary.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.10.19Orange Ribbons for Jaime Holds 2nd Annual Nationwide ‘Dance-A-Thon’ Fundraiser
- News2021.10.03Not My Daughter…Find a Cure Now! Holds 2nd Annual Telethon
- News2021.09.28Orange Ribbons for Jaime Launches 2nd Annual Nationwide ‘Dance-A-Thon’ Fundraiser
- News2021.09.27Heron Bay Board Holds Town Forum on Golf Course Development