By Jill Fox
For two days, Park Trails Elementary School teachers, administrators, and the Parent-Teacher Association board members paraded through Parkland to say thank you to their volunteers.
Typically celebrated with an end-of-the-year breakfast, with COVID-19 restrictions in place, the school had to make alternate plans.
Park Trails Principal Arlene Manville said, “Our volunteers play such an important role in our school that even during a pandemic, we knew we could not let their efforts go unrecognized without doing something.”
PTA President, Kellie Reda said they wanted to find a way to celebrate the volunteers, but with social distancing guidelines in place, they had to think outside the box.
About 30 cars drove around Coral Springs and Parkland, honking their way through each neighborhood to honor individuals who had racked up at least 20 volunteer hours during the shortened school year.
“In these challenging times, it is more important than ever to stay connected and make sure those we care about know we care,” said Manville, “Our faculty and staff love our volunteers, and this was our way of trying to make sure that they know how much their efforts are appreciated.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2020.09.21Parkland Talk Interviews Jordan Isrow and Derek Olivier: Candidates for City Commission District 2
- News2020.09.174 Parkland Schools Make the Grade for Community Engagement in Education
- Events2020.09.15Parkland Synagogues Prepare for A Virtual New Year
- News2020.09.15Pap Corps Raises Almost $30,000 for Cancer Research