By Jill Fox
Parkland’s 50/70 recreational baseball team beat Doral twice on Sunday to claim their spot in the State Championship tournament this weekend in Bradenton.
Thirteen players comprise the intermediate level team that plays on a 50-foot mound with 70-foot bases. Coached by Roger Storms, Jeremy McCluskey, and Trevor Connolly, the team went into the district tournament undefeated before going on to win sectionals last weekend, hosted for the first time in Parkland.
“It’s exciting that we finally got an opportunity to host a tournament. The city came through, fixed up the fields so they looked awesome, and the tournament went off great,” said City Commissioner Rich Walker, who has been a long-time proponent of recreational sports.
Storms said he has a great group of boys that are very team-oriented, and a great group of parents as well. Also, he can’t emphasize enough the support that league president Rob Travinsky and Tim Mooney from the city have given the teams throughout the season.
Walker said winning sectionals is a huge accomplishment for Parkland Little League, and the team has a lot of potential.
“They have a chance to go pretty far, which is really exciting for the town and for little league.”
Storms, whose son, Reid, is on the all-star team said they’re really excited. The kids have worked hard and they need them to play their best baseball now.
Mayor Christine Hunschofsky offered her praise to the team.
“We wish them the best of luck and will be cheering them on from Parkland,” she said.
The winner of the eight Florida teams competing this weekend will go on to Southeast Regionals in North Carolina on Friday, July 19.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She is currently a Senior Account Director at Lon Haber & Co., a leading full-service public relations firm. Fox worked at NBC Miami for eight years after graduating from the University of Miami. She lives in Parkland with her husband, Brian and two children.
- Events2019.07.14Westglades Middle Invites Incoming Students To Tour School
- Events2019.07.13Camp Shine has Open Seats for Middle and High School Students
- Crime & Safety2019.07.13Parkland Crime Update Through July 1
- Events2019.07.09Parkland Residents Represent Broward County in Florida 4-H State Horse Show