By: Sharon Aron Baron
If looking the spiffiest qualifies a person to be the leader of a city, then Max Levine would be elected in a landslide. As Mayor for a Day, he was ready for business arriving to the job on Thursday in a black tuxedo and a perfectly coiffed hairstyle.
Max, 9, a third grade student, won the honor of being Mayor for a Day at an auction given by the youth department of Congregation Kol Tikvah. Proceeds of his winning bid went towards Camp Jenny which gives children from inner-city Atlanta the opportunity to attend camp at URJ Camp Coleman in Georgia every Memorial Day weekend. The children get to participate in activities such as hiking in the mountains, water play, zip-lining, arts and crafts, and a variety of sports and team building activities.
“They make connections with the counselors and it’s really life-changing for these little kids,” said his father Craig Levine.
Mayor Christine Hunschofsky said that initially, the students at Congregation Kol Tikvah were auctioning off their time with tutoring and baby-sitting. “I mentioned to them, if they’d like, I’d be happy to spend some time with someone at city hall and they’d be able to auction that off as well if they’d like.”
As Mayor for a Day, Hunschofsky gave Max a tour of city hall, showed him points of interest on the city map in her office, discussed future plans of Parkland and let him sit in her chair in the commission chambers.
The son of Craig and Jennifer Levine of Heron Bay, Max attends Pinecrest School in Boca Raton where he said he gets ‘very good grades.” He has a little sister named Rebecca, along with a big brother named Benjamin who joined him on his big day.
He said his favorite part about living in Parkland are the parks, and that he wants to be an actor when he grows up.
So what would be the one thing Max would change about Parkland if he were the mayor?
“There would be ice cream for everyone,” he proclaimed.
A future politician in the making, indeed.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.07.19Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagle Regiment Holds Car Wash Fundraiser
- News2021.07.13North Springs Improvement District Drinking Water Undergoing Routine Chlorination July 15
- News2021.07.12Parkland BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet July 31
- News2021.07.03Hazardous Waste Drop-off Held in Parkland on July 10