By Jill Fox
Calling all baseball players. The Parkland Pokers, the city’s travel baseball league, is holding tryouts.
The well-known travel organization, winners of many league and tournament championships, will be choosing two teams for athletes ages eight and under, a player pitch team, and a coach pitch team.
As far as what they are looking for in potential players, it’s dedication.
“When you play travel sports, it requires a lot of dedication from the player and their family,” said Mark Longaro, a member of the Parkland Pokers Board.
He said, with competitive sports on the rise, he expects a big turnout this weekend.
Tryouts for the professionally coached teams will be held on Friday, December 13, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Sunday, December 15, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., Monday, December 16, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Wednesday, December 18, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Pine Trails Park. To register for tryouts, call Mark Longaro at 561-886-8657.
Teams will be selected, and practices will begin in early January.
Children must be born after May 1, 2011. Pine Trails Park is located at 10555 Trails End in Parkland.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 6.
- Events2020.08.10Drive-In Movie Night in Parkland: ‘The Sandlot’
- News2020.08.06Local Mom Organizes School Supply Drive For Students in Need
- News2020.08.05Parkland Principals Address Back-To-School Concerns in Virtual Meeting
- Dining2020.08.05Parkland and Coral Springs Restaurants Offering Outdoor Seating