By Jill Fox
Calling all baseball players. The Parkland Pokers, the city’s travel baseball league, is holding tryouts.
The well-known travel organization, winners of many league and tournament championships, will be choosing two teams for athletes ages eight and under, a player pitch team, and a coach pitch team.
As far as what they are looking for in potential players, it’s dedication.
“When you play travel sports, it requires a lot of dedication from the player and their family,” said Mark Longaro, a member of the Parkland Pokers Board.
He said, with competitive sports on the rise, he expects a big turnout this weekend.
Tryouts for the professionally coached teams will be held on Friday, December 13, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Sunday, December 15, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., Monday, December 16, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Wednesday, December 18, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Pine Trails Park. To register for tryouts, call Mark Longaro at 561-886-8657.
Teams will be selected, and practices will begin in early January.
Children must be born after May 1, 2011. Pine Trails Park is located at 10555 Trails End in Parkland.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She is currently a Senior Account Director at Lon Haber & Co. Fox worked at NBC Miami for eight years after graduating from the University of Miami. She lives in Parkland with her husband, Brian and two children.
- News2020.01.19WOWMoms World: A New One-Stop Shop for Modern Moms
- News2020.01.17Kiddush and Cocktails: New Concept Brings High Attendance to Shabbat Services
- News2020.01.16Parkland Crime Update: Latest Incidents Through January 12
- News2020.01.14Multiple Scholarships Offered to Graduating Parkland Seniors