By: Sharon Aron Baron
At Wednesday’s city commission meeting. several Parkland students took home awards or scholarships for their hard work in high school.
Mayor’s Top Teen Award
The Mayor’s Top Teen Award is a program that recognizes and celebrates teens whose actions promote a positive image, overcome obstacles, demonstrate scholastic achievement, and set a good example to their peers and community. A three-person committee, comprised of city staff, carefully reviewed the applications and selected Christian Garza as the 2018 Mayor’s Top Teen. Garza, a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, was commended for his commitment to helping her community, overcoming personal obstacles, and being an exceptional student.
Educational Advisory Scholarship Award
Education Advisory Board Members, Bob Marks, Megan Mila and Golden Johannson conducted a special Subcommittee Meeting in February , to interview potential scholarship candidates. The board members were impressed with the caliber of the applicants and recommended each of the applicants receive an award. The members have recommended the awards be distributed as follows:
First: $850 award, to Susanna Barna
Second: $650 award, to Carlee Goldberg
Third: $500 award, to Christy Ma
Engineering Scholarship Award
The City of Parkland, Unger Engineering Services and Winningham and Fradley Inc., selected Lauren Newman as the recipient of the 2018 Engineering Scholarship. Newman, a senior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, will receive $3,000 for post-secondary school related expenses.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.07.19Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagle Regiment Holds Car Wash Fundraiser
- News2021.07.13North Springs Improvement District Drinking Water Undergoing Routine Chlorination July 15
- News2021.07.12Parkland BSO Holds Shred-A-Thon and Operation Medicine Cabinet July 31
- News2021.07.03Hazardous Waste Drop-off Held in Parkland on July 10