By: Matt Rothman
There aren’t many times when a high school kicker gets so much attention, but for Parkland native Dean Gordon, he has clearly become one of the best in the country,
Gordon ranks in the top-25 in the country by Chris Sailer Kicking, one of the top football ranking camps in the United States.
Gordon, 17, lives in Heron Bay and attends Pine Crest School. He played flag football in kindergarten and then began playing for local travel team Parkland Rangers in middle school.
“My experience kicking for the Parkland Rangers as a kid was so important to me because it allowed me to gain a ton of confidence,” Gordon said. “I feel like the moment is never too big for me, and I always just focus on the task at hand.”
This year for Pine Crest, Gordon has had 75 percent of his kicks go for touchbacks with a long of 71 yards. He also has made all eight of his extra points this year, along with a field goal in three games.
A large part of his success, he says, goes to his parents, Alyson and Dave, and his brother, Alec. Gordon also credits all of his coaches as a kid for helping him become successful.
Gordon has been on the varsity team at varsity team since he was in 9th grade but has had his first real opportunity in 2020 to be the main guy on special teams.
While his focus is still on this year, he has already talked to many schools but wants to take his time before deciding. The pandemic has limited his travel his year, but he recently kicked in North Carolina last month and in Naples for the Chris Sailer Kicking Camp.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.10.26Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Cross Country Wins District Championship
- News2021.10.26Barraza Leads Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Golf to District Championship
- News2021.10.25Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Golf Finishes 2nd in Districts; Advances to Regionals
- News2021.10.23Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Earns Massive Win on the Road