By: Jill Fox
On your mark, get set… it’s time for the annual Parkland Dash.
“This annual event is as much about community as it is about health. Families wake early, go to Pine Trails Park, and see their neighbors have done the same thing. It’s an outpouring of community support that is a lot of fun. This event epitomizes Parkland—families coming together for a common cause.” Said City Spokesperson Todd DeAngelis.
Over 500 local residents are registered for the races this Sunday, October 7 at Pine Trails Park. But, there is still time to get in on the action.
Registration is open for all races, including a 5K, a 5-Mile Course and a 1-Mile Fun Run for both rookies and athletes to take part in. Strollers are welcome for all courses, and prices vary by event.
Registration will continue up until the day of the event, with a limited number of spots available on Saturday with an increased registration fee. Only the first 550 runners will receive a Parkland Dash dry-fit shirt.
Runners should bring their families to The Parkland Dash for raffles, sponsor give-aways, snacks and more activities, including an award presentation at the conclusion of the races. Trophies will be given to overall winners, masters and individual age groups.
Every year the Parkland Dash has a different beneficiary. This one directly benefits the community, with funds raised going to Broward County Public Schools located in Parkland.
According to the event organizer, Alexandra Valle, one of the highlights of the Parkland Dash is the high school volunteers and community leaders awaiting racers at the finish line and awarding them with finisher medals for all of their hard work.
In fact, coordinators are still looking for volunteers to help with the event. Students should visit City of Parkland as soon as possible for more information. Volunteer hours will be awarded.
Packet pick up will take place at Coral Springs Runners Depot at 5679 Coral Ridge Drive, Coral Springs on October 5 and 6, starting at 11 a.m.
The race will begin at Pine Trails Park, 10555 Trails End. The 5K and 5-mile run will both commence at 7 a.m., while the 1-Mile Fun Run will begin shortly after.
For more information, visit City of Parkland or contact the Parks and Recreation Center at 954-757-4105.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She is currently a Senior Account Director at Lon Haber & Co., a leading full-service public relations firm. Fox worked at NBC Miami for eight years after graduating from the University of Miami. She lives in Parkland with her husband, Brian and two children.
- Events2019.06.20Marjory Stoneman Douglas Class of 1994 Celebrates 25 Years at Upcoming Reunion
- News2019.06.19Parkland City Commissioner Instrumental in Lowering Water Bills
- News2019.06.15Incoming Marjory Stoneman Douglas Eagles Get Ready to Fly
- Events2019.06.15Register Now for the 2019 Parkland Dash