By Jill Fox
With the new year came the first discussion on the legal battle between residents of Pine Tree Estates and the City of Parkland.
Back in May, Parkland Talk revealed how hundreds of Pine Tree Estates homeowners who reside in the Pine Tree Estates subdivision filed a lawsuit against the city. These residents felt the city had neglected their roads, with their potholes, cracks, and uneven pavement.
The lawsuit stated that “the roads within Pine Tree Estates are public streets which the city has a legal duty, responsibility and obligation to maintain and prepare, but which the city has been derelict in its legal duty, obligation and responsibility to maintain and prepare said roads.”
In a closed meeting on January 6, the commission, city manager, city attorney, and outside council met to discuss the next steps.
Mayor Rich Walker said he’s committed to coming to a resolution for the residents of Pine Tree Estates, Parkland, and everyone involved.
“We’ve given our council instructions to reach out to the Pine Tree Estates attorneys to start the process and potentially come to a resolution,” he said.
For the lawsuit, the city hired Gregory Stewart, a top-rated state, local, and municipal attorney from Nabors, Giblin, and Nickerson, P.A., while property owners raised funds to hire the law firm of Gray Robinson.
Although he wasn’t able to speak about specific details, Walker did say he hopes resolutions can be made without the case going to trial.
“I want to let the attorneys understand everyone’s positions and have their discussions behind closed doors, and as information becomes available, I’m happy to share it.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.06.13Mah Jongg Players Meet For 2 Summer Gatherings At Family Bagels
- News2021.06.09Friendship Journey Scholarships Awarded In Memory of Jaime Guttenberg And Gina Montalto
- News2021.06.08Parkland Mourns Respected Father, Husband and Coach, Drew Evan Wiener
- News2021.06.08Any Fin Is Possible At Parkland’s Summer Youth Fishing Derby