Senator Tina Polsky and Representative Christine Hunschofsky
By Sharon Aron Baron
On January 5, Senator Tina Polsky (D-Boca Raton) and Representative Christine Hunschofsky (D-Parkland) filed Senate Bill 428 and its House Companion, HB 167, which would strengthen efforts to ensure the safe storage and usage of firearms.
This bill will ensure that guns remain safely stored when not in use so that they do not end up in the hands of a child, providing criminal penalties if a person fails to properly secure or store a firearm and a minor gains access to the weapon as a result.
As a candidate, Senator Polsky said gun violence was one of her top three issues facing Florida.
“We have all heard the tragic stories that are the result of firearms not being properly secured. If owners properly store their firearms in a lockbox or with a trigger lock, many of these tragedies could be avoided,” said Senator Polsky.
Firearm safety begins at home, said Rep Hunschofsky. As mayor of Parkland, Rep Hunschofsky was thrust into the national spotlight the day of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas massacre, counseling families and urging community members to get the emotional help they needed. She believes that with effective safeguards and education, homes, children, families, and communities are safer.
“I’m proud to file House Bill 167, which would create effective measures that provide safe access to guns. It’s an essential part of commonsense gun ownership and critical for saving lives.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- NewsFebruary 27, 2024Parkland Farmers’ Market Returns with Classic Car Show
- NewsFebruary 26, 2024Construction Underway on 150-Acre Preserve Honoring Marjory Stoneman Douglas Massacre Victims
- NewsFebruary 21, 2024Marjory Stoneman Douglas Educator Named Finalist for Career and Technical Education Teacher
- NewsFebruary 20, 2024Lead the Fight at the American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life