By: Sharon Aron Baron
If you have recently purchased a home and would like to file Homestead, or other exemptions, you don’t have to drive far: the Broward County Property Appraisers office will come to you through their community outreach program.
Each month, their offices visit cities around Broward County where staff helps residents file for their Homestead, Senior and other exemptions, as well as answer property assessment questions.
Originally created by former Property Appraiser Lori Parrish, newly elected appraiser Marty Kiar has been working on expanding it. Since last January, their offices have attended hundreds of events, as well as created monthly standing events.
According to Kiar, their outreach staff has attended 337 events since the beginning of the year in which 15,754 people had issues address by staff and 2,574 exemptions were taken.
“We take homestead exemptions, give many other exemptions, such as low income senior exemptions, veterans exemptions and help folks with portability and provide lots of information to our residents,” said Kiar. “It’s my goal to make sure that every Broward County resident entitled to a tax saving exemption gets the exemptions they are entitled to under the law.”
Residents in Parkland who want to make sure they are getting exemptions, need to visit the Parkland Library Monday, May 22 or Monday, July 24, 2017. from 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
If you are filing for a Homestead Exemption, make sure you bring your Florida Driver’s License or ID, Broward County Voter’s Registration OR a Declaration of Domicile; AND Social Security numbers for all owners.
For more information contact the outreach department at 954-357-5579.
The Parkland Library is located at 6620 N University Dr Parkland FL 33067
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. she has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- Events2020.09.28Parkland Debates Hosted by the HOA Presidents Council Held Oct 5 & 6
- Crime & Safety2020.09.26Parkland Crime Update Through September 21
- Events2020.09.25Celebrating 50 Years of Fire Service with Drive-in Movie Event
- Events2020.09.23Clear Space by Safety Disposing Hazardous Waste October 3