By Jill Fox
Forget adorable puppies and the latest Nintendo Switch games, this Secret Santa is bringing essentials to one Parkland community.
Porches in Pine Tree Estates received a special delivery on Saturday when someone visited their homes with toilet paper in tow.
Residents took to the Nextdoor app to express their gratitude.
“To the person or persons dropping TP off on the porches in Tall Pines, thank you, and God bless you!” Said Larry, who has lived in the community since 2001.
He said when he answered the door, he could see a man pulling a little red wagon in the distance and a boy on a bicycle beside him.
Parkland residents have been on the hunt for toilet tissue since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, some frequenting grocery stores at early hours in hopes of nabbing a package, while others are asking for donations on social media.
With the shortage of paper goods in Parkland grocery aisles, neighbors have even been helping one another find which stores have items — and whether there’s a limit.
Neighboring communities responded to this friendly situation with positive remarks, like, “Love this!! God bless your TP Santa!” and “This is awesome! Faith in humanity restored.”
According to Larry’s neighbor, the toilet paper was provided by Church by the Glades in Coral Springs which does add up, since Pastor David Hughes and his family reside in the neighborhood of Tall Pines.
Although Larry’s family was not quite out of toilet paper, he said, “Whether we needed it or not, he was going around to everyone’s door.”
On a personal note: this week at Publix, I waited in line for my ration of Cottonelle, overseen by a deputy with the Broward Sheriff’s Office, which falls into the category of things I never thought I’d experience in my lifetime. What a beautiful world it would be if we could all “spare a square” for those in need.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Celebrate Hanukkah with Mah Jongg, Latkes, and Vodka for a Good Cause
- NewsNovember 13, 2023Annual Pink Challah Bake and Mah Jongg Night to Benefit Jewish Women’s Health
- NewsJanuary 21, 2023Early Childhood Center Celebrates 20 Years in Parkland
- NewsJanuary 20, 2023Parkland Wiffle Ball Tournament Raises Money for Pediatric Cancer