By: Sharon Aron Baron
After serving for the past two years as a Parkland city commissioner representing District Two, Grace Solomon announced this week that she will not seek reelection.
Solomon was elected to the seat in 2016 after Christine Hunschofsky left midway through her second term to run for mayor. Since her term was for two years, she was up for reelection this year, and had filed to run, however, on Tuesday evening she changed her mind. She wrote on her Facebook page:
“Since I started, I’ve learned a great deal about city politics, many of those realities I will keep to myself. Let’s just say, it’s not always a pretty picture and political motivations aren’t always pure. I’ve been frequently disappointed (and frustrated) by what I’ve experienced.
Needless to say, the job turned out to be more than any of us could’ve imagined, a full-time commitment with sacrifices I can’t possibly summarize in a Facebook post.”
In May of 2016, Solomon was appointed by Commissioner Stacy Kagan to the City of Parkland’s Education Advisory Board and later that year, she was appointed by the commission to serve on the Parkland Police Pension Board.
Solomon is a resident of Parkland Golf & Country Club where she lives with her husband Dan and their son.
District Two is covers Aston Gardens, Waters Edge, The Landings, Parkland Estates, Parkland Golf & Country Club, the southern section of Parkland Isles and Meadow Run. City commissioners in Parkland earn $28,810 and receive $360 for car allowance, $7,812 in health insurance and $600 for cell phone allowance.
Residents who are interested in running must live in the district and will need to act soon because qualifying period is from noon, Monday, June 18, 2018 – noon, Friday, June 22, 2018. The election will be held on Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
To qualify, contact the Parkland City Clerk Jennifer Johnson at (954) 757-4132 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.01.23Marjory Stoneman Douglas Climate Sustainability Club Holds Fundraiser
- News2021.01.213 Men Arrested for Loitering, Prowling, This Week in Parkland Crime
- News2021.01.21State COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment Scheduling System Now Up in Broward County
- News2021.01.21Polsky and Grieco Refile Legislation to Ban Conversion Therapy on Minors