By: Jill Fox
For those searching for a way to help the community, the City of Parkland is currently accepting applications on four advisory boards.
A Parkland city advisory board typically consists of five to nine citizens who assist the city commission. Each commissioner receives one appointment, and there are two seats at large and two alternates.
“Those who ran for office have already shown a desire to want to serve the city of Parkland and are intending to put in applications,” said Mayor-elect Rich Walker, but there are more seats available.
Members of the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board interact with the users of facilities to assure progress, development, maintenance, and planning for the community’s needs. This includes providing recommendations as to the size and locations of public parks in the city and the facilities and programs to be provided.
Walker, who is very involved with Parkland sports, said, “Anyone with a desire to serve the community can apply for the board, but I believe someone with an affinity for our parks and sports programs can have a more positive impact.”
The main priority of the Planning and Zoning Advisory Board is to provide insight on city matters, such as site plans and the potential rezoning of property. Residents should be able to sift through details of architectural plans, maps, proposals and combine them into cohesive recommendations.
The Police Pension Board consists of five members: two police officers, two residents of Parkland appointed by the City Commission, and a fifth member chosen by these four members. Interest in or experience with pension plans, actuarial studies, and investments are a welcome addition to the board.
Candidates for these positions must be Parkland residents. Apply here.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.06.18Parkland Commission Postpones Discussion of New Craft Brewery
- News2021.06.16Parkland BSO Captain Chris Mulligan Announces His Retirement
- News2021.06.16Parkland Teens: Volunteer and Earn Service Hours This Summer
- News2021.06.13Mah Jongg Players Meet For 2 Summer Gatherings At Family Bagels