By: Sharon Aron Baron
Sports journalist Matt Rothman has achieved a major milestone in his career, graduating from the University of Florida with a master’s degree in mass communications with a focus on journalism.
Rothman, who grew up in New York, developed a love for sports from an early age. He attended Florida Gulf Coast University and initially studied communications but switched to journalism in his sophomore year.
It was during his junior year that he began interning with Talk Media and has since covered local sports events in South Florida, including Parkland, Coral Springs, Tamarac, Margate, and Coconut Creek.
In addition to his work with Talk Media, Rothman also served as Assistant Sports Editor for the school newspaper at FGCU and was awarded the Civic Engagement Award at graduation for accumulating over 1,000 service learning hours in college.
He has also interviewed a number of professional athletes, including MLB players Chris Sale, Jacob Barnes, and Richard Bleier.
Despite the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, Rothman, who lives in Parkland’s Heron Bay, decided to pursue his master’s degree and was accepted at the University of Florida.
He continued to write for Talk Media while earning his degree and contributed to The Hockey Writers, Last Word on Baseball, and ESPN Gainesville. Rothman also has worked the last eight summers at Eagles Landing Camp and the Night Owls in Coconut Creek as a camp counselor.
Upon graduation, Rothman plans to continue writing for Talk Media and is actively seeking new opportunities to cover sports.
“I know you got to start somewhere, and I have loved every minute of it,” Rothman said. “One day, I hope to be a beat reporter for a professional team. I have done the work, but I need to find the right opportunity.”
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2023.01.28Mah Jongg Tournament Raises Awareness For Women’s Heart Health
- News2023.01.26Parkland Holds Commemoration Ceremony for Marjory Stoneman Douglas Community on Feb. 14
- News2023.01.25Parkland Man Pleads Guilty to $4.1 Million Fraud Scheme
- News2023.01.22UPDATE: Multiple Injuries Reported in Crash on Northbound Sawgrass Expressway