By Jill Fox
Parkland’s own Bob Mayersohn was the recipient of a prestigious award at the 10th Annual Community Care Plan Non-Profit Awards hosted by 211 Broward.
At the event held on February 28, nearly 700 local notables, community leaders and members of the nonprofit sector attended the sold-out event presented by Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino.
Mayersohn said he was humbled, honored and grateful for the recognition.
“His steady leadership as City of Parkland Vice Mayor, calm in the face of tragedy, and support of his community exemplify the 2-1-1 Broward Excellence Award,” said Sheila Smith, CEO of 2-1-1, upon presenting Mayersohn with the award.
Also recognized was Parkland Cares as a Rising Star by Calvin, Giordano & Associates.
During the Luncheon, the winners of each of the 211 award categories were announced, each receiving an award and $1,000 for their non-profit organization. The finalists in each category were awarded $500. Winners were chosen for their dedication to Broward County and the impact they have on the community by a panel of impartial judges from the Tri-County area.
2-1-1 Broward is a live, 24-hour comprehensive helpline, providing all Broward residents with crisis, health and human services support and connecting them to resources in the community, including more than 4,000 different programs and services available to help them.
No stranger to the organization, Bob Mayersohn became an early champion of the 2-1-1 special needs helpline. He also started Parkland Buddy Sports so children with special needs and their families could also experience the joy of sports.
The 10th Annual Community Care Plan Non-Profit Awards winners were:
BB&T | SunTrust Bank now Trust Non-Proﬁt Organization of the Year – Collaboration
United Way of Broward County’s Broward Business Council on Homelessness
OK Generators Non-Profit Organization of the Year- Innovation
Calvin, Giordano & Associates Non-Proﬁt Organization of the Year – Rising Star
Memorial Healthcare System Non-Proﬁt Organization of the Year
FPL Non-Proﬁt Organization Board Leader of the Year
Howard Talenfeld, Florida’s Children First
WLRN Non-Profit Organization Staff Leader of the Year
Nancy Robin, Habitat for Humanity of Broward
Greenspoon Marder Non-Proﬁt Organization of the Year – The Arts
Children’s Services Council of Broward County Collective Impact for Youth Award
Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino 2020 Lifetime Achievement Award Honoree
Alan Levan, Chairman and CEO of BBX Capital and Bluegreen Vacations
211 Broward Excellence Award
Vice Mayor Robert Mayersohn, City of Parkland Commission & Founder of Parkland Buddy Sports
Publix Community Choice Award Winner
The Girl Choir of South Florida
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 6.
- News2020.07.11Parkland Mayor Hunschofsky Endorses Bob Mayersohn for City Commission
- News2020.07.10Nominate Someone for the 2020 Broward Education Foundation Hall of Fame
- News2020.07.10City Hopes to Ease Traffic With New Roundabout in Parkland
- News2020.07.10Parkland Proposes Budget and Millage Rate for 2021