By Jill Fox
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School will host a Winter Guard competition this weekend. Held annually in Parkland, this is the fifth contest in 2020 for the South Florida World Guard Association.
The competitive season for winter guard, which is the sport of indoor color guard, began in January and will finish in early April at the Color Guard World Championships in Dayton, Ohio.
On Saturday, March 7, each team will compete in the MSD Gymnasium with flags, sabers, mock rifles, and other equipment, and perform dance, acrobatics, and other interpretive movements.
A huge fundraiser for the school, the mid-season showdown will feature performances from 32 color guards from across the tri-county area, including two teams from MSD.
Twenty-two students make up the Stoneman Douglas World Guard, which is currently ranked ninth nationally. The A-Guard, comprised of 23 middle school students from Westglades and Coral Springs Middle Schools, will also perform.
Teams will begin competing at 1:45 p.m. and continue until 8 p.m. Doors open at 1:00 p.m., and general admission tickets are $18 for adults and $10 for children under 10. Spectator seating may sell out before evening performances and vendors selling items like clothing and jewelry, as well as concessions will be available throughout the day.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is located at 5901 Pine Island Road in Parkland.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Celebrate Hanukkah with Mah Jongg, Latkes, and Vodka for a Good Cause
- NewsNovember 13, 2023Annual Pink Challah Bake and Mah Jongg Night to Benefit Jewish Women’s Health
- NewsJanuary 21, 2023Early Childhood Center Celebrates 20 Years in Parkland
- NewsJanuary 20, 2023Parkland Wiffle Ball Tournament Raises Money for Pediatric Cancer