By Jill Fox
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School will host a Winter Guard competition this weekend. Held annually in Parkland, this is the fifth contest in 2020 for the South Florida World Guard Association.
The competitive season for winter guard, which is the sport of indoor color guard, began in January and will finish in early April at the Color Guard World Championships in Dayton, Ohio.
On Saturday, March 7, each team will compete in the MSD Gymnasium with flags, sabers, mock rifles, and other equipment, and perform dance, acrobatics, and other interpretive movements.
A huge fundraiser for the school, the mid-season showdown will feature performances from 32 color guards from across the tri-county area, including two teams from MSD.
Twenty-two students make up the Stoneman Douglas World Guard, which is currently ranked ninth nationally. The A-Guard, comprised of 23 middle school students from Westglades and Coral Springs Middle Schools, will also perform.
Teams will begin competing at 1:45 p.m. and continue until 8 p.m. Doors open at 1:00 p.m., and general admission tickets are $18 for adults and $10 for children under 10. Spectator seating may sell out before evening performances and vendors selling items like clothing and jewelry, as well as concessions will be available throughout the day.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is located at 5901 Pine Island Road in Parkland.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 6.
- News2020.07.07Deputies Get to the Bottom of a Parkland BB Gun Attack
- News2020.07.06Parkland Chamber of Commerce Holds ‘Equity in Business’ Panel
- News2020.07.05Qualifying for Parkland City Commission Districts 1 and 2 Begins July 6
- News2020.07.05Early Morning Fire Damages Parkland Home in Cypress Head