By Jill Fox
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School will host a Winter Guard competition this weekend. Held annually in Parkland, this is the fifth contest in 2020 for the South Florida World Guard Association.
The competitive season for winter guard, which is the sport of indoor color guard, began in January and will finish in early April at the Color Guard World Championships in Dayton, Ohio.
On Saturday, March 7, each team will compete in the MSD Gymnasium with flags, sabers, mock rifles, and other equipment, and perform dance, acrobatics, and other interpretive movements.
A huge fundraiser for the school, the mid-season showdown will feature performances from 32 color guards from across the tri-county area, including two teams from MSD.
Twenty-two students make up the Stoneman Douglas World Guard, which is currently ranked ninth nationally. The A-Guard, comprised of 23 middle school students from Westglades and Coral Springs Middle Schools, will also perform.
Teams will begin competing at 1:45 p.m. and continue until 8 p.m. Doors open at 1:00 p.m., and general admission tickets are $18 for adults and $10 for children under 10. Spectator seating may sell out before evening performances and vendors selling items like clothing and jewelry, as well as concessions will be available throughout the day.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is located at 5901 Pine Island Road in Parkland.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She is currently a Senior Account Director at Lon Haber & Co. Fox worked at NBC Miami for eight years after graduating from the University of Miami. She lives in Parkland with her husband, Brian and two children.
- Dining2020.03.31Anthony Rizzo Foundation Provides Free Meals to Health Care Workers
- News2020.03.29Local Stores Create Special Hours for Shoppers Vulnerable to COVID-19
- News2020.03.27Parkland Resident’s Mom Returns Home after being Stuck at Sea
- News2020.03.26Parkland Teachers Brighten Students’ Days During COVID-19