By Jill Fox
Volunteer bunnies are committed to delivering the joy of the Easter Egg Hunt to Parkland homes despite the newest regulations regarding COVID-19.
The event was created in honor of Gina Rose, the 14-year-old victim of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, who loved children and the thrill of the hunt on Easter morning. Last year, they raised over $3,000 for the Gina Rose Montalto Memorial Foundation.
On the foundation website, an update about COVID-19 says they are challenged by the efforts to mitigate the spread of Coronavirus and wanted to update everyone on how they are planning to execute the fundraiser while keeping families safe.
The plastic candy-filled eggs will be disinfected and packaged more than 72 hours before delivery. Although the time alone should be enough to ensure everyone’s safety, they are taking the extra precaution of disinfecting the eggs.
They are also limiting the number of volunteers stuffing, sorting, and packing the eggs for contactless delivery.
Instead of hiding the eggs in residents’ lawns, as they have in the past, the “bunnies” will leave a discrete package at each front door on Easter Eve, for parents to open and hide for their families themselves. The popular Easter bunny footprints (made using baby powder) will still appear on walkways as evidence of the bunny’s visits.
The cost for your house to be “egged” is $25 for 30 eggs or $50 for 60 eggs.
To sign up, visit ginarosemontaltomemorialfoundation.org/eggmylawn by April 5.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2020.09.29Marjory Stoneman Douglas Grad Aims to Educate Voters with Nonpartisan Education Platform
- Schools2020.09.28Gina Rose Montalto Memorial Foundation Awards Total of 3 Scholarships
- News2020.09.27Our Interview with the Four Candidates for City Commission District 1
- News2020.09.253 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Students Create Masks with a Meaning