By: Sharon Aron Baron
Award-winning Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School alumnus Ben Solmor has died on New Year’s Day after fighting a rare form of cancer — just three days short of his 33rd birthday.
Solmor, from Coral Springs, graduated from MSD in 2006, then moving to Delray Beach. He was an award-winning choreographer and professional dancer recognized by the New York Post for his performance as DJ Lenny Lizard in the Off-Broadway hit The Boychick Affair.
In 2017, he was diagnosed with Stage 2 chondrosarcoma, a type of bone cancer that develops in cartilage. Solmor’s cancer developed above his right knee. After multiple surgeries and hundreds of hours of physical therapy, he continued to make strides in the South Florida theatre scene. When Parkland Talk last caught up with him in 2020, he was choreographing Measure for Measure Theatre’s production of In The Heights.
He told Parkland Talk in an interview: “It’s fun and smart; a blend of classic musical theater infused with hip-hop and Latin/Funk. Music that keeps you on your toes not only to keep up with the story but because you’re probably dancing up a storm in the aisles.”
According to the Boca Raton Tribune, graveside service for Ben Yehuda Solmor was held Monday at Wellwood Cemetery in upstate New York. Alexander-Levitt Funerals & Cremations in Tamarac handled the local arrangements.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Sharon Aron Baron is a Parkland resident and editor of Talk Media. She has been covering Parkland news since 2012. Parkland Talk was created to provide News, Views, and Entertainment for the residents of Parkland.
- News2021.10.19Orange Ribbons for Jaime Holds 2nd Annual Nationwide ‘Dance-A-Thon’ Fundraiser
- News2021.10.03Not My Daughter…Find a Cure Now! Holds 2nd Annual Telethon
- News2021.09.28Orange Ribbons for Jaime Launches 2nd Annual Nationwide ‘Dance-A-Thon’ Fundraiser
- News2021.09.27Heron Bay Board Holds Town Forum on Golf Course Development