By Jill Fox
The Relay For Life movement is dedicated to uniting communities worldwide to attack cancer from every angle, and from 1985 through 2019, Relay has raised nearly $6.5 billion to save lives from cancer.
Due to Covid-19, suspended events have led to decreased donations this past year.
The local Relay organization, which includes Parkland, Coral Springs, Margate, and Coconut Creek, urges residents to help kick off their 2021 season by participating in The American Cancer Society “First Lap.”
According to the most recent financial data from the American Cancer Society, in 2018, $172 million was raised by Relay for life, and 73 cents of every dollar went towards research, prevention, detection, education, and patient support.
During the Relay for Life, between January 9 and January 31, anyone can complete a 5K by running, walking, or biking in the location of their choice.
Attendees will virtually bond together in search of a cure for cancer by celebrating cancer survivors, caregivers and remembering those lost to the disease.
Registration is $21 and is open through January 31, at 6:00 p.m., and includes a participation medal.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.06.13Mah Jongg Players Meet For 2 Summer Gatherings At Family Bagels
- News2021.06.09Friendship Journey Scholarships Awarded In Memory of Jaime Guttenberg And Gina Montalto
- News2021.06.08Parkland Mourns Respected Father, Husband and Coach, Drew Evan Wiener
- News2021.06.08Any Fin Is Possible At Parkland’s Summer Youth Fishing Derby