By Kevin Deutsch
On Tuesday, the Broward County School Board re-elected Lori Alhadeff as Chair and Debra Hixon as Vice Chair, district officials said.
Alhadeff, who represents District 4, and Dixon, who holds a countywide at-large seat, were nominated and elected during the School Board’s annual Organizational Meeting, officials said.
Since the School Board became a nine-member board in 1998, Tuesday marked the first time the same Chair and Vice Chair were elected to serve a second year, said Keyla Concepción, a district spokesperson.
Alhadeff has served on the School Board since 2018 and previously served as Chair and Vice Chair. Hixon was first elected to the School Board in 2020 and previously served as Vice Chair.
Alhadeff, who represents Coral Springs, Parkland, Tamarac, and parts of Margate and North Lauderdale, lives in Parkland. She was initially elected Chair at the board’s November 2022 Organizational Meeting, winning on a 6-2 vote and replacing Torey Alston, an appointee of Gov. Ron DeSantis, as Chair. A former teacher and mother of three, Alhadeff became a school safety advocate after her daughter Alyssa was killed in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting on Feb. 14, 2018.
Hixon’s husband, Chris, MSD’s athletic director and wrestling coach, was also killed in the shooting.
The other Broward County School Board members serving are Alston, District 2; Brenda Fam, Esq., District 6; Daniel P. Foganholi, District 1; Dr. Jeff Holness, District 5; Sarah Leonardi, District 3; Nora Rupert, District 7, Seat 9; and Dr. Allen Zeman, countywide at-large, Seat 8.
- Kevin Deutsch is an award-winning crime journalist and author. A graduate of Florida International University, Kevin has worked on staff at The Miami Herald, New York Daily News, and The Palm Beach Post.
- NewsNovember 15, 2023Gallop into Adventure at Spitfire Farm’s Thanksgiving and Winter Break Equestrian Camps
- NewsNovember 14, 2023Broward County School Board Reelects Alhadeff and Hixon as Chair, Vice Chair
- NewsJune 29, 2023U.S. Department of Labor Cites Contractor in Parkland Farmworker’s Death
- NewsMay 11, 2023Parkland Commissioner Honored by Florida League of Cities