By Jill Fox
Three communities in Parkland were the victims of car burglaries while others have seen an increase in attempted burglaries over the past several days.
But this is nothing new according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office. During this time of the year, they generally see an uptick in incidents like these.
“People tend to hide Christmas presents in their cars, and leave items in plain view,” said Parkland District Captain Chris Mulligan, who reminds residents to be diligent, lock their car doors, and to not leave anything visible in their vehicles. Also, avoid leaving packages on their doorsteps, if possible.
BSO has ongoing investigations on the incidents, and it’s important to note, that each of the cars where items were stolen, was left unlocked.
“These burglars are not smashing windows or breaking in, just walking down the street, and checking to see whatever is left unlocked,” said Mulligan.
On Friday evening, two MiraLago residents captured video of burglary attempts on their security cameras.
Property managers in some Parkland communities have reached out to their homeowners about locking car doors and reporting suspicious activity to 954-764-4357. Mulligan said residents should make sure not to allow others to trail their cars when driving through community gates.
Another essential tip for residents is to utilize the Broward Sheriff’s Office Parkland District as a safe meeting location for buying and selling items at 6650 University Drive. The office is staffed from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. After hours and on weekends, residents may call the non-emergency number 954-764-4357 and request a deputy meet them at the office.
Always call 911 if you are a victim of a crime.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She is currently a Senior Account Director at Lon Haber & Co. Fox worked at NBC Miami for eight years after graduating from the University of Miami. She lives in Parkland with her husband, Brian and two children.
- News2020.04.06Attempted Home Burglary Suspect in Parkland Apprehended by BSO
- News2020.04.05Parkland Neighbors Unite for a Disney-Themed Scavenger Hunt
- Events2020.04.05Annual Easter Event in Honor of Gina Montalto Still Planned Despite COVID-19
- Events2020.04.03DeSantis Issues 2 New Executive Orders: Here’s What You Need to Know