By Jill Fox & Hank McCoy
Coastal Community Church is getting an upgrade as plans for their future expansion were unanimously approved by the city commission.
The church, which opened its doors in 2018, has seen tremendous growth since it made its home off of University Drive.
Despite opposition by some residents, after a recommendation by Parkland’s Planning and Zoning Board, the city commission voted in favor of the expansion at Wednesday’s online city commission meeting.
Attorney Michael Moskowitz explained how changes would be made in the new construction to address noise concerns previously voiced by neighboring residents.
“The new addition will have thicker walls, made of solid concrete, spray insulation, and speakers pointing south, away from nearby housing,” he said.
Multiple letters from the public were read in support of the growth of the Parkland parish. Residents wrote about how fortunate the community is and how the church’s need to expand is indicative of having so many people wanting to serve the needs of others.
Amazing programs, volunteer opportunities, inclusion, and the support of family outreach were noted as well.
Speaking on behalf of the church, the President of the Parkland Golf & Country Club Homeowners Association complimented what a great neighbor they have been, namely nothing but exceptional with regard to traffic.
As part of the expansion, the church is developing a larger worship space, additional office space, and production spaces for broadcasting services at the 6800 North University Drive location.
Currently occupying 16,486 square feet, the expansion would add over 30,000 additional square feet, which includes a second story, bringing the height of the church building to 48 feet when the architectural tower is added.
According to the development services staff report, the area of land was initially planned for 60,000 square feet of religious institution use and 10,000 square feet of daycare use in April of 2017. With the proposed phase of expansion, it would bring the church under that 60,000 mark.
Mayor Christine Hunschofsky said one of the things that make our community so special is there are so many different places to worship.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2020.09.21Parkland Talk Interviews Jordan Isrow and Derek Olivier: Candidates for City Commission District 2
- News2020.09.174 Parkland Schools Make the Grade for Community Engagement in Education
- Events2020.09.15Parkland Synagogues Prepare for A Virtual New Year
- News2020.09.15Pap Corps Raises Almost $30,000 for Cancer Research