By: Matt Rothman
Bennett Gary of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball team is officially committed to the University of Miami.
“It feels amazing to have been recruited to a top baseball school such as Miami,” Gary said. “I am really looking forward to contributing to their legendary program.”
Gary grew up playing baseball in Maryland for the Olney Pirates. He started the season out on the junior varsity team, where he hit a pair of home runs and also went 4-0 on the mound with 22.2 shutout innings.
He was then called to the varsity team and had only one at-bat in the regular season. Gary played five games in the postseason, including two hits in his first game and a triple and three RBIs in the final to help the Eagles win their third straight State and National Championship.
“I couldn’t be happier for him. All the hard work and weight room has paid off,” Head Coach Todd Fitz-Gerald said. “He knows the real work starts now and will be ready when he steps on campus [on] day one.”
Gary said he wanted to go to a great baseball and academic school in the South when deciding where to play. He hopes to improve on all aspects of his game before heading to Miami.
“I would love to thank my mom, dad, brother, and sister, who have always supported me along the way,” Gary said. Also, Coach Fitz, Coach Rob, and the Stoneman Douglas and Florida Pokers coaches have played a key role in getting me to this point.”
Gary will still have two years left on the varsity baseball team at MSD before joining a program that has won four National Championships and been to six finals. They recently hired JD Artega as their new head coach after he previously worked with the pitchers for over two decades.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- NewsSeptember 23, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shows Resilience Despite Setback: Gears Up for the Anticipated Pig Bowl Showdown
- NewsSeptember 22, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Swim Records Wins Over Monarch and Northeast
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Volleyball Moves to 10-1 With Senior Night Win
- NewsSeptember 21, 2023Soccer Star Gianna Rizzo of Marjory Stoneman Douglas Announces College Pick