By Jill Fox
As restaurants struggle to bring in business with COVID-19 restrictions in place, some have found success by bringing the cuisine to the residents.
Lately, food trucks from popular establishments like Cherry Smash and Chick-fil-A have catered to Parkland communities wanting their fix. Ice cream trucks have been spotted in the neighborhoods of Heron Bay and Watercrest, leaving others wanting in on the action.
“It brings something fun and different to the community,” said Crystal Moore, MiraLago resident, and owner of We Mix it Up.
But the city has decided to put an end to this convenient cuisine for residents sheltering at home.
In a letter sent to homeowners association presidents and property managers, City Manager Nancy Morando writes, “While the City recognizes that food trucks can help enrich the community experience, ensuring that this is done in a responsible way has always been through the City’s special event permit process.”
She said this process ensures that the food truck operators comply with all necessary public health and safety requirements.
Because the City of Parkland has currently suspended all special event permit applications, food trucks are prohibited from operating within the city.
Moore, who coordinated a Latin food truck during lunchtime in MiraLago, said people were following the rules and keeping a safe distance from each other.
“Everyone is looking for food options– why not bring it into the community,” she said.
For Parkland residents who have been “Sheltering in Place” since March 26, advice about restaurant take-out has been flooding social media.
As far as the food trucks, Morando said, “It is our hope we can resume soon, but we must put our residents’ safety as our primary concern.”
Send your news to Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- Crime & Safety2021.07.30Meet Local School Resource Officers at ‘Parkland Night Out’ Event
- Events2021.07.29Register For Inspiring Professional Women’s Alliance Luncheon Featuring State Rep. Hunschofsky
- Events2021.07.28Parkland Little League Holds Free Pitch, Hit and Run Competition
- News2021.07.28Parkland Awarded $1.5 Million Grant For Future 36-Acre Park