By Jill Fox
At Wednesday’s meeting, The Parkland City Commission proclaimed October 21, 2020, as Gina Rose Montalto Memorial Foundation Day.
Created in response to the tragedy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14, 2018, The Gina Rose Montalto Memorial Foundation makes charitable donations to causes Gina supported before her life was taken.
The foundation has focused on the Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida, the Challenge Air for Kids Foundation, and the Friendship Journey through the Gina arts friends program. They have awarded scholarships in the arts and STEM fields as well as to girl scouts who received their Gold Awards.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the non-profit organization donated life-saving KN-95 masks to firefighters in the City of Parkland.
Gina’s mother, Jennifer, father, Tony, and brother, Anthony, attended the meeting to receive the proclamation from Mayor Hunschofsky.
“I want to thank Mayor Hunschofsky and the entire commission for the honor and making this possible,” said Tony.
The proclamation stated how the organization provides a structure in which well-intended members of our community can work productively and recognized the foundation’s work to keep Gina‘s light shining in the world.
It also ensures that Gina’s purpose and kind spirit will not be lost with her passing and aims to inspire young adults to go on and accomplish greatness in their lives.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and now resides in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 11 and Randi, 7.
- News2021.03.05Make Our Schools Safe Awards $888 Alyssa Alhadeff Soccer Scholarship
- News2021.03.04Carmela Coffee Holds Beginners Mah Jongg Night on March 16
- News2021.03.03Parkland Preteen Collects LEGO Sets For Hospitalized Children
- News2021.03.02Feeling Lucky? Register For Pap Corps Bingo on March 17