By Jill Fox
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis announced that all students in Florida would continue distance learning until the end of the school year at a press conference held in Fort Lauderdale on Saturday.
“It’s obviously not the ideal situation, but given where we are in the school year, we felt that that was the best decision to go forward,” he said.
According to DeSantis, there was a division among people over whether or not it was a good idea to continue with distance learning. The last thing they wanted to do was force everyone to go to school and have half of the kids not show up because their parents didn’t want them to, or the teachers didn’t want to.
He also gave updates on COVID-19 testing efforts, and the eventual reopening of the Florida economy.
On Monday, DeSantis will announce members of a new task force being created to determine when and how to reopen businesses and other aspects of the economy.
The task force, made up of people from a variety of industries, including small business owners and elected officials, will develop a three-stage approach to react to opening the state: short-term, medium-term and long term.
“They’re going to start by providing the short-term recommendations for me by the end of the week,” he said, “People want to be responsible, they want to be safe, but they want to get back into a routine.”
Keep sending your tips to Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked on the public relations side as well as the television side of marketing for NBC Universal. A true Floridian, Fox grew up in Ormond Beach and earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Advertising from the University of Miami. During college, Fox enjoyed working at Walt Disney World. She loves living in Parkland with her husband, Brian and their two children, Madden, 10 and Randi, 7.
- News2020.09.21Parkland Talk Interviews Jordan Isrow and Derek Olivier: Candidates for City Commission District 2
- News2020.09.174 Parkland Schools Make the Grade for Community Engagement in Education
- Events2020.09.15Parkland Synagogues Prepare for A Virtual New Year
- News2020.09.15Pap Corps Raises Almost $30,000 for Cancer Research