By Jill Fox
What would you do if you were elected mayor?
Middle school students have an opportunity to win $100 by writing an essay describing how they would make a difference as mayor.
In the statewide essay contest sponsored by the Florida League of Mayors and the Florida League of Cities, 6th – 8th-grade students in public and private schools are encouraged to write about “Home Rule” and how it helps make the city a great place to live.
Home rule means that city officials live and work closest to residents, so they should decide how to govern their city.
In addition to a gift card, winners will also receive a resolution from the mayor at a city commission meeting.
The “If I were elected Mayor . . .” contest will be judged by a committee of members from the Florida League of Mayors Board of Directors.
Essays should be no more than 250 words, and entries must be postmarked by January 29, 2021.
The entry form can be found here.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- NewsNovember 25, 2023Celebrate Hanukkah with Mah Jongg, Latkes, and Vodka for a Good Cause
- NewsNovember 13, 2023Annual Pink Challah Bake and Mah Jongg Night to Benefit Jewish Women’s Health
- NewsJanuary 21, 2023Early Childhood Center Celebrates 20 Years in Parkland
- NewsJanuary 20, 2023Parkland Wiffle Ball Tournament Raises Money for Pediatric Cancer