By: Matt Rothman
Behind a two-home run game from Santiago Ordonez and a no-hitter on the mound, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball team earned a 9-0 win in the Regional Quarterfinals.
It was the team’s 24th win this year after defeating Santaluces High School Friday night.
The Eagles started quickly after Christian Rodriguez struck out the side in the first. Gavin Conticello then drove in Roman Anthony after his lead-off double. Then, Ordonez went deep for a two-run home run to give MSD a quick 3-0 lead.
Just one inning later, Ordonez brought three runners home with another home run before Christian Arroyo scored on an error after a hit from Devin Fitz-Gerald.
Rodriguez exited after five innings and struck out 12, and Conticello hit the team’s third home run of the game to make it 9-0. Sam Beir and Derek Rodriguez combined for the final six outs to complete the no-hitter as the lone base runner came on a walk in the third inning.
Up next, the Panthers baseball team plays Park Vista Community High School on Wednesday, May 12 at 7 p.m. Park Vista comes in off a 5-0 win in the Regional Quarterfinals and is 19-5 this year.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.163 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Players Invited to Broward-Palm Beach All-Star Game
- News2022.01.16Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Concludes Week With MLK Tournament Win
- News2022.01.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Cheerleading Team Wins Regional Championship
- News2022.01.13Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys and Girls Soccer Win in District Championship Rematch