By: Matt Rothman
Despite trailing 3-0 late in the Regional Semifinals, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas baseball team stormed back with five runs in the final two innings to beat Park Vista Community High School 5-3 to advance to the Regional Final.
Christian Rodriguez made the start on the mound and was spotless until he gave up a three-run home run in the top of the fifth inning. Still, MSD rallied for one in the bottom of the fifth on a home run from Christian Arroyo. Rodriguez then recorded a 1-2-3 inning in the sixth, setting the Eagles up for a big home half.
Nikko Benestad, who came off the bench, started the sixth with a single after initially being called out at first. After the umpires overturned the call, MSD then had their next two hitters retired before Gavin Conticello kept the inning going by reaching on an error. Santiago Ordonez singled to load the bases up, and Jake Clemente brought in two to tie the game at three.
Arroyo then was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to give the Eagles the lead before Clemente scored the team’s fifth run on a wild pitch to make it 5-3.
Rodriguez ended up pitching a complete game. He ended the game allowing only the one hit and recording a huge double play in the seventh after allowing a leadoff walk. Rodriguez struck ten for the team’s 25th win of the season.
The Eagles will play Palm Beach Gardens Community High School in the Regional Final on Saturday, May 15 at 7 p.m. Palm Beach Gardens comes in following a 3-1 win in their last game, 22-5 on the season. These two teams met earlier this year as Palm Beach Gardens handed MSD their first loss of the season.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.163 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Players Invited to Broward-Palm Beach All-Star Game
- News2022.01.16Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Concludes Week With MLK Tournament Win
- News2022.01.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Cheerleading Team Wins Regional Championship
- News2022.01.13Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys and Girls Soccer Win in District Championship Rematch