By: Matt Rothman
After her senior year on the Marjory Stoneman Douglas bowling team, Parkland resident Ashley Paris capped off her incredible high school bowling career with a trip to states for the third consecutive season.
At the 2019 Florida High School Bowling State Championships at Boardwalk Bowl in Orlando, Paris bowled four qualifying games and had a total score of 817. She was one pin away from reaching the top-16, which would have qualified her for match play. There were 211 participants in the tournament.
After coaching sports in Broward County for 24 years and MSD for one, Pedro Perez said Paris is the best student-athlete he has ever had.
“To see what she did and handle herself the way she did is incredible,” said Perez. “Anybody who loses by one pin takes it hard. She did not at all. It is a tribute to her family and the way she is brought up.”
In her previous three appearances at states, she had her best season this year, reaching a top-score of 244 and improving drastically from last year, where she finished in 50th place. She moved up 33 spots.
Her team this year, which consisted of many freshmen in the starting lineup, reached the afternoon of the first district tournament before being beat.
“I really just enjoyed all the friends I made when I bowl, Paris said. “We just have a great time together. We laugh, criticize each other, and have a fun time with it.”
When she is not bowling, Paris likes to work in theater and attended a play shortly returning from the state completion. She also works for a tutoring company Mathnasium when she is not working on her game.
Next year, Paris hopes to attend Florida Gulf Coast University and join the bowling team that just had their inaugural season. She also wants to attend the university to see the beautiful campus and study forensic science. FGCU is one of the lone universities to offer this major, as her dream is to become a crime scene investigator.
If Paris can be just anywhere near successful in her studies as she was in bowling, she is going to be a very successful young lady in college.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student. Matt also covers the New York Islanders for The Hockey Writer, the New York Mets for Last Word on Baseball and Florida Gators Athletics for ESPN Gainesville.
- News2021.02.27Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boy’s Lacrosse Off to Outstanding 3-1 Start
- News2021.02.26Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Incredible Run Ends at States
- News2021.02.25Marjory Stoneman Douglas Softball Wins 1st Game With Strong Offense
- News2021.02.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Victorious in Regionals, Advance to States