By: Matt Rothman
Infielder Cameron Harris is the latest baseball player from Marjory Stoneman Douglas to make his college commitment.
“It’s awesome to commit,” said Harris, who picked Wingate University in North Carolina. “It’s all my family, and I have worked for a long time, and I feel like this is a place that I can call home.”
Harris played a significant role in helping the Eagles win a championship. He hit .276 in 76 at-bats as a junior and had four doubles, 13 RBI’s, and an on-base percentage of .423 courtesy of 20 walks.
His baseball career began with Parkland Little League before playing travel ball for the Parkland Pokers. Since then, he has been a member of Elite Squad baseball.
Harris learned the hard way how to compete. He recalls his former coach, Darrin Brown, putting him and his teammates through some incredible challenges such as running hills and miles around the park. At the time, Harris had no idea why they were making him run so much.
After some time, it quickly hit him as he learned that players would be pushed to their limits in baseball. He credits him helping him gain that mental toughness and his varsity coach, Todd Fitz-Gerald, on developing him not just as a player but a person.
Harris has one more season left in the MSD baseball team before joining the reigning Divison II National Champions at Wingate. He will also be joining high school teammate Tyler Novik, who is heading there in the fall.
“Novik has been a great teammate and a great person in general,” Harris said. “If you were down, Novik always had your back. It’s going to be cool knowing you have a friend going into it.”
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Picks Up 15th Win on Senior Night
- News2022.01.24Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Basketball Finishes Regular Season With Senior Night Win
- News2022.01.213 Parkland Travel Soccer Teams Shine During MLK Holiday Weekend
- News2022.01.20Marjory Stoneman Douglas Star Offensive Lineman Aris Skarecki Makes College Pick