By: Matt Rothman
The Eagles have won their last seven opening games and outscored their opponents 202-66. With a packed student section, Head Coach Quentin Short felt the atmosphere was terrific and helped his team to victory.
“It was a good win,” said Short. “We fought through some adversity, and while we let them hang around, we were able to put them away.”
Brite Cannon got the scoring going with an 85-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. Clayton Cannon II scored two rushing touchdowns, while Justin Spano recorded one. Jake Aller and Jake Arteaga both had extra points. Defensively, the Eagles were led by Tucker Jean, Clayton Cannon II, Junior Valentine, Colin Keough, Ryan Cruz, and Gabe Lenamon.
MSD is coming off a season in 2021 where they went 6-3 in the regular season and made the State Playoffs before falling to Western High School. Despite having 28 players graduate from last year’s team, MSD heads into their next game at home against Plantation High School on Thursday, September 8, at 7 p.m. The Colonels went 9-3 last year but fell to Miramar High School 26-21 in their first game.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.09.23Marjory Stoneman Douglas Bowling Teams Pick Up 50 Wins So Far
- News2022.09.20MSD’s Christian Rodriguez Helps Gain a Gold Medal for Team USA in World Cup
- News2022.09.17Junior Champions Thompson and Liu Leading Marjory Stoneman Douglas Golf
- News2022.09.17Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Win Swim Meet; Girls Finish Second