By: Matt Rothman
When the Marjory Stoneman Douglas football team needed a win, they got one on Friday and were rewarded with an opportunity to go to the postseason.
The Eagles won 47-29 against Coral Glades High School and secured the eighth seed in the 8A State Playoffs. They will be taking on Western High School, which comes in as the top seed.
“We have an opportunity to keep playing playoff football,” said Head Coach Quentin Short. “We had a must-win last week to get in, and we did what we had to do. We play one of the top programs in South Florida, and these are games we need to play in to take the program to the next level.”
The Eagles started the season 2-0 with wins over Cooper City and Coconut Creek High School. Then, they dropped three straight games, and their starting quarterback sustained a season-ending injury.
However, Hunter Rose took advantage of his opportunity alongside running back Matthew Wilson and an outstanding secondary. MSD won their final four games of the season to finish 6-3.
It will be a tough test. On Friday, November 12, is against Western at 7 p.m., on the road. The Wildcats come in with an 8-2 and have won six straight games scoring 271 points during the streak.
This will be the first time these two schools have faced off since 2012, when Western beat MSD 38-13.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.12.07Marjory Stoneman Douglas Wrestling Team Wins 1st Tournament
- News2021.12.07Parkland Pokers Baseball Team 13U Wins 2nd Championship in 4 Weeks
- News2021.12.07Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Basketball Wins 1st Game of Season
- News2021.12.06Former MLB Champion Juan Pierre Set to Coach Parkland Pokers 10U