By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas continues to shine in cross country this season, placing the girls first in the City Championship at Tradewind Parks in Coconut Creek on Tuesday.
Head Coach Mike Mauro says both teams were outstanding today against some really strong schools.
“The city championship kicks off the most competitive part of the season, and the girls showed up today,” Mauro said. “Almost everyone ran a personal best. This was a well-earned win.”
Ella Schwartz finished first place for the second consecutive race at 19:54.3. Olympia Koumoutsakis was next for the Eagles, placing eighth, while Sparta Koumoutsakis came in tenth.
Esther Bang, Morgan Melchiorri, Sidney Dinolfo, and Rebecca Bridger all finished in the top 20, with Cecilia Gago, Sofia Schorer Kaplan, Mikayla Ryan, Taryn Bander, Jada Pfingsten, Ella Peacut, Alina Keeney, Elana Kurman, Riley Anders and Katie Wagner all competing.
The body finished in second place as a team and had their top result from Coby Alhadeff. After winning his last race, Alhadeff improved his time by over 40 seconds to come in sixth. Matthew Rosenberg was next to finish and came in tenth place, while Cole Spinks placed 20th. Caleb Walker, Kyle Pan, Joseph Cardinale, Miguel Martinez, Matthew Nason, Veer Kapoor, Joseph Farabaugh, Nicholas Perez, Vasco Velarde, Alexander Holmes, Noah Seid, Jacob Stein, Jared Eggener, James Mills, Jacob Raider all followed.
Westglades Middle School also shined, with the boys and girls finishing first. Mason Polonia, Alex Spadaccini, Dlyan Vining, Levi Bekker, and Mateo Quin all finished in the top 10 for the boys, while Alexys Caropreso took first for the girls. Emiliana Anzures, Jordin Bekker, and Evelena Fleck placed in the top ten. MSD and Westgaldes will continue their season, with the District Tournament set for October 19 at Markham Park.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsNovember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Soccer Face Coral Glades; Girls Basketball Begins Season
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Soccer Records 1st Win With Offensive Explosion
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Parkland Pokers 12U Baseball Team Set to Host Tryouts on Tuesday
- NewsNovember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Boys Basketball Opens Regular Season With Win