By: Matt Rothman
After going 7-0 in 2020 before having their season cut short due to COVID-19, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls lacrosse team had a chance in 2021 to compete in the postseason.
Not only did they win the District Championship, but the Eagles also advanced all the way to the Regional Final before falling to St. Thomas Aquinas High School.
MSD fell 17-7 in a hard-fought game after the Eagles fell 16-4 earlier this season. Those were two of the three losses they had all year with their three senior captains Sammy Fisher, Lauren Figas, and Alexa Kitaygordosky.
They scored 120 of the team’s 200 goals between the three players this year as Fisher had 55 and Figas and 50. Fisher will be playing college lacrosse at Elon University, and Figas will play at the University of Louisville.
Despite having three of their top players graduating, the Eagles will return Carli Fleisher, who had 40 goals and 36 assists. The Eagles also had eight freshmen on the team this year, including goaltender Celebre Rhoades.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student. He also works for the Mohave Valley Daily News in Bullhead City, Arizona covering high school sports.
- NewsDecember 8, 20233 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Players Selected to BCAA All-Star Game
- NewsDecember 5, 2023Original Florida Pokers Set to Hold Tryouts December 9-10
- NewsDecember 4, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas JROTC Battalion Wins Another State Championship
- NewsDecember 3, 20232 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Coaches Receive National Awards