By: Matt Rothman
The Marjory Stoneman Douglas girls lacrosse team picked up their first win of the season on Tuesday against unbeaten St. John Paul II Academy.
This was also the first win for Head Coach Scott Iardella, who took over for Kristina Stein and previously coached at Westglades Middle School. The Eagles previously fell 16-10 in their first game against Benjamin High School.
“Extremely proud of the tremendous effort, team play, and game adjustments to win a tight game against a tough team,” said Iardella.
Taylor McGovern shined once again with six goals and has nine already this year. She finished last year with the fourth most points in the Stat. Chloe Resnik scored three times, while Caroline Lam, Kaitlyn Irwin, Raina Grimes, and Sofia Riley had one.
The team consists of Stephanie Bilsky, Taylor Serbin, Diana Shlafman, Maggie Davis, Gia Capistrano, Saoirse Popen, Eraj Ali, Gracyn Haynes, Nigella Alexander, Addison Sacks, Anna Koesten, Kaitlyn Irwin, Erika Dibitetto and Lilly Shortz.
Next, the Eagles are set to play Boca Raton Community High School on Friday, Feb. 24, at 7 p.m. The Bobcats are 2-1 this year and beat MSD in both the District Championship and Regional Quarterfinals last year.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism and then graduated from the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- NewsSeptember 29, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Football Wins 2023 Pig Bowl For 1st Win Under Coach Hindsley
- NewsSeptember 28, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas Grad Coby Mayo Officially Named MVP of the Eastern League
- NewsSeptember 27, 2023Marjory Stoneman Douglas and Westglades Cross Country Dominate in Week 4 Meet
- NewsSeptember 25, 2023Roman Anthony Named Boston Red Sox Minor League Player of the Year