By: Matt Rothman
Marjory Stoneman Douglas recognized six student-athletes at the Broward County Athletic Association banquet at the Heron Bay Marriott on April 18.
The six scholar-athletes were Logan Walsh, Jayah Portis, Zachary Stevens, Landon Kefford, Molly Conn, and Rylee Thompson for their work on and off the field.
Walsh was a star on the varsity swim team helping the Eagles finish second in Districts. Portis runs track and field, and She advanced to Regionals in both the 300 hurdles and the long jump this season. Stevens was a top player on the boy’s lacrosse team, while Conn played on the girl’s soccer team, scored 16 goals, and recorded 42 points in her three seasons.
Thompson competed on the cheerleading team, which finished third in the state after winning Districts and Regionals. Kefford runs track and field and has done terrific in the 1600 and 3200 meters. He was also a recipient of the Allstate Scholarship Award alongside Michelle Berndt.
On Wednesday, Anthony Perillo was named the recipient of the Brian Picollo award. The award recognizes senior athletes from Broward County schools who excel in the classroom and football field. This award is named after the late NFL player and South Florida native Brian Piccolo.
“I felt honored to be recognized,” Perillo said. “It accounted for all the hard work in the classroom and on the field that was done behind the scenes.”
Perillo recorded 43 tackles in three years with the Eagles. He also was on the varsity lacrosse team alongside Stevens and helped the Eagles win six games this season. Perillo has a GPA of 4.3 and has accumulated 375 service learning hours. He is set to attend Florida State University after he graduates in 2022.
“He had a tremendous motor on the field, played with effort and intensity,” said Head Coach Quentin Short.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2022.05.17Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins Regionals Championship Behind Clemente’s 3 Run Homer
- News2022.05.172 Marjory Stoneman Douglas Girls Soccer Players Make Their Commitment Official
- News2022.05.17Marjory Stoneman Douglas’ Kyanne Meredith Ties Personal Best in State Championships
- News2022.05.14Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Records Wild Regional Win in District Championship Rematch