By: Matt Rothman
It was an incredible performance from both the boys and girls track and field team of Marjory Stoneman Douglas in the BCAA Track and Field Championship Friday afternoon.
The boys came in fourth place overall out of 32 teams and were led by their 4 x 800 relay team of Jasiah Clapp, Alexander Miller, Bryan Gonzalez, and Sheldon McCullum, who won first place. McCullum also came in second in the 800 meters.
The Eagles 4 x 400 team also ran well and placed fourth with Allen Oliver, Isaiah Shaw, McCullum, and Jasiah Clapp. Shaw had a first-place performance in the triple jump and came in second in the long jump.
Ameer Hussian finished third in both those events while Lucas Machado came in eighth in the 1600 meters.
The girls’ team finished in eighth place, highlighted by both Gianna Hansen and Jayah Portis. Hansen finished fourth in the 4 x 100 hurdles, while Portis finished third in the long jump and seventh in the triple jump.
They were each on the 4 x 100 relay team alongside Selena Bronkhorst and Ananda Grissette, who came in the fourth. Kyanne Meredith also had a strong showing in the pole vault and came in third place.
Up next, both teams will prepare to race against Blanche Ely High School on Wednesday, March 31.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 News Source, Parkland Talk.
- Matt Rothman is a 2018 graduate from Florida Gulf Coast University receiving his bachelor’s degree in journalism. He is now attending the University of Florida as a graduate student.
- News2021.05.22CHAMPIONS AGAIN: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Wins 2nd State Championship in 6 Years
- News2021.05.21BREAKING: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball 1 Win Away From State Championship
- News2021.05.15Ordonez’s Walk-Off Home Run Wins Regionals for Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball
- News2021.05.13Marjory Stoneman Douglas Baseball Storms Back Late to Advance to Regional Final