By Jill Fox
Memorial services will take place this weekend in honor of Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agents Daniel Alfin and Laura Schwartzenberger, who were killed in the line of duty on February 2.
Each ceremony will take place at the Hard Rock Stadium at 2 p.m. – Special Agent Schwartzenberger’s on Saturday and Special Agent Alfin’s on Sunday. Both are closed to the public due to Covid-19 restrictions.
On Saturday, a processional will take place after a private family mass. The City of Parkland advised there will be heavy traffic on University Drive south of Holmberg Road from approximately 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., and to avoid the area if at all possible.
Additionally, there will be heavy law enforcement presence, and helicopters may be in the area during that time. Traffic delays will likely be experienced in both directions on the Sawgrass Expressway as well.
Special Agent Laura Schwartzenberger, 43, originally from Colorado, lived in Coral Springs and is survived by her husband and two sons.
In her honor, Governor Ron DeSantis directed the United States and the State of Florida flags to be flown at half-staff at the Broward County Courthouse in Fort Lauderdale, at Parkland City Hall, and the State Capitol on February 6.
Special Agent Daniel Alfin, 36, a New York native, lived in Weston with his wife and son. In his honor, Governor Ron DeSantis directed the United States and the State of Florida flags to be flown at half-staff on February 7 at the Broward County Courthouse, Weston City Hall, and the State Capitol.
Donations can also be made to the Tunnel to Towers Foundation. Born out of the September 11 tragedy, the foundation helps by paying off the mortgages for the fallen agents’ families.
Send your news to Parkland’s #1 news source, Parkland Talk.
- Jill Fox is an Emmy Award-winning writer and producer. She has worked in public relations and television for over 20 years. Fox lives in Parkland with her husband and their two children.
- News2021.06.18Parkland Commission Postpones Discussion of New Craft Brewery
- News2021.06.16Parkland BSO Captain Chris Mulligan Announces His Retirement
- News2021.06.16Parkland Teens: Volunteer and Earn Service Hours This Summer
- News2021.06.13Mah Jongg Players Meet For 2 Summer Gatherings At Family Bagels